Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Off the Trail- History of Blazer Big Men






On a weekly basis I would like to discuss the history of the Portland Trail Blazers from an outsiders perspective. I am what some might call the Anti-Blazer. Ev...sorry to do this to ya bro!
As I was pondering in the shower this morning on the way to go about this, my first instinct is to write about the history of the Blazer big men. WHAT A HISTORY IT IS. How embarrassing it is too...
Bill Walton- He defined basketball and hippyism at the same time. He was only great two seasons, and then didn't even start for Boston. He averaged on 52 games a season through his career...OUCH! I hate his guts today and every time I hear his voice announcing games, I'd rather turn the channel. I'd rather hear Charles Barkley announce games!
Sam Bowie- All I'll do is laugh and everyone knows what I am talking about....
Kevin Duckworth- This guy was the Blazer big man of my youth while I lived in Oregon. He might of almost averaged a double double thru his years in P-twon but basically any big man does that today. Here's something I found on the internet...haha...Why you probably forgot him: Once again, and we’ve seen this happen dozens of times to some brilliant players, the weight issue got to him. Right after being traded to the Bullets for (their leading scorer) Harvey Grant, I remember him showing up for Bullets’ training camp weighing in at around 375…BY HIMSELF. There were stories published in the Washington Post of people shaking their heads in disgust at him as he loaded box after box of chocolate chip cookies into his basket. He was the anti-Shaq, a mountain of a man who was probably 3% muscle and 97% Oreos, and after frustrating Bullets’ management, he went on to take up space for Milwaukee (the green alternate jersey edition) and the Clippers before sitting down at the buffet for good in 1997.
Arvydas Sabonis- This guy was on that team from the USSR that won the gold in 1988. He couldn't play for the Blazers in the 80's because hes from freakin' LITHUANIA! Was he worth the 9 year wait to finally play in 95?...NO. I hated the wristbands when he played in the 90's. He was slow, and always hurt it seemed, and never really had an impact in the NBA, just another guy to take up space.
Finally Greg Oden- "With the number one pick in the draft, the Portland Trail Blazers select- Gred Oden, Ohio State University." When I heard that, I knew the Blazers did it again. They passed up on yet another superstar...Kevin Durrant. Homeboy looks like hes 50 years old and then he bangs up his knee and doesn't play his first season. Some think he's going to be so great, I see him as no more than a Yao Ming, someone who you know who he is, but you wonder what significants he has...NONE. Oden won't bring a championship to Portland EVER!
To conclude, I see NBA teams being successful without a superstar seven footer (Hornets, Mavs, Boston, Phoenix-before Shaq). Will the Blazers ever see that? Obviously not. Let Oden reign in the C spot while the Blazers will always be a mid Western Conference team. Find more guys like Brandon Roy...and not Sebastian Telfair also.

4 comments:

Evan said...

Ryan my brother you have just crossed a line you wish you wouldn't have. You have really got something coming your way. Too bad I am in the midst of finals right now, but I will get around to this reply-post soon.

Triz said...

Ryan Ryan Ryan. Bad call on this post. First off, all the teams you mentioned have not won a title without a big man. Those are the teams that are mid-level western conference teams.

With that said.....how DARE you speak ill of Sabas! His no look passes, outside shooting, and defense on Shaq (he was the ONLY player somewhat effective against Shaq in his prime) are what kept the Blazers alive. And my autographed Kevin Duckworth card would disagree with you on his weight. The guy was an All-Star for crying out loud. The Blazers have a storied history of big men.

I wish I knew which team you supported so I could rip on your players. I don't mean to be so harsh, but like Evan said, ripping on Sabonis is just crossing line.

Angela said...

I connected to this blog after Adge told me to check out the wonder that was Pammy's last blog, and I'm glad I did! I'm so excited about this blog because Evan is an advocate of two things I love - Beavers and Blazers. I can't wait to see what he has to say about the Beav's new hire....ugh.

Anyway, although I disagree with your overall opinion of the Blazers big men, I do have to concur with the Duckworth weight issue. A couple of weeks ago, we were watching a Blazer game and Kevin Duckworth was a guest in the studio providing commentary. It was shocking. Luke was on the phone non-stop for half an hour, telling everyone he knew to turn on Comcast Sports to see Kevin Duckworth weighing in at well over 500 lbs. Classic Duckworth.

Lesley said...

Need to check the facts - Uncle Dirky anyone? Pretty sure he's definitely over 7'.

Go Rip City.