Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Influence of Sports in America


Traveling is my thing. I've done a lot of it in the last month. From New York to Missouri, from Idaho to D.C. I've seen something this last month with my own eyes and that is, AMERICANS LOVE SPORTS!


As I rocked my St. Louis Cardinal hat on a road trip through the dusty roads of Kansas, a gentleman and I at a gas station at 3 am in the morning discussed the way the Cardinals would replace Jim Edmonds. While in Idaho I discussed a topic I love dearly on the UNC Tar Heels while bowling with people I just had met and the Carliles. In Washington D.C.'s ESPN Zone I see 50 million televisions on and people glued to the NCAA tournament. In New York I saw the Orange of Syracuse on just about every corner or bumper sticker. Even President Bush is caught in the craze by throwing out the first pitch at the new Washington Nationals stadium. Sports are everything!



So in this time in America where just about every person has a bracket filled out, where the hicks church service is the weekly NASCAR race (not a sport) and where Buffalo Wild Wings is filled with sports fans tuned into the game, I ponder now on the influence of sports in America. Sports have become an obsession. Maybe that's why Evan and I have this blog...we are obsessed also. Do work!

1 comment:

Evan said...

Amen brother! Too bad we don't have Romney at the head who could really help this country even more! Really what do people do for fun other than sports or watch the office?