Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Civil War Showdown



That's right ladies and gentlemen, the day is just around the corner and I'm here to give you my two cents worth. I have attended one Civil War game as a student at Oregon and it was quite the experience. It was a one-sided whoopin' down at Autzen; 56-14 to be exact in the Fog Bowl. You would think that I would say the same for this week but I'm actually expecting something different and maybe even quietly rooting the other way.

What we have is one of the best rivalries in the nation and that's saying something considering that most of the time, the game has no or little national significance. This year though, their is a lot on the line. The Beavers control their fate. They'll be smelling the roses if the beat the Ducks and they haven't been to Pasadena since 1965 for the Roses. If the Ducks win, they'll go Holiday Bowling and if they lose, they'll be making another trip to the Las Vegas Bowl because of the Sun Bowl's no-repeat rule. I wasn't here for the last Vegas appearance but I heard enough about the game from both sides and I bet that the Ducks don't want to go back.(BYU-38 Oregon-8)


I'm predicting this to be a really good game. The games tend to be close even when one team is unquestionably better but this is the first year in a while where both teams are evenly matched. There are a few things to look at. First, the home team has a huge advantage. Besides last year, the home team has won the last 10 games or something. However, the Beavers might be without the Quizz which would be a big lost to the Beavers not having the leading rusher in the Pac-10. I don't think the quarterback issue will be too much of a problem. Now for the Duck's problems.... The Ducks are hot and their cold, their good and their bad. No one really know which team will show up in Corvallis. Will it be the team from the Boise St. game? The team against Arizona St? or the team against Arizona that jumps out to a huge lead and almost gives it all back?

No matter the case, I'm expecting a high scoring, close game. With the Ducks having a bye week and an high scoring offense and crappy secondary, I wouldn't be surprised if both teams get into the 40's.

I am a true Duck fan (the picture should prove that)but I believe in bi-partisanship and reaching across the aisle.
That is why I will be rooting for the Beavers to win on the last play of the game. They just have too much at stake to want the Ducks to spoil the Beaver's Rose Bowl performance so the Ducks can move up to a 2nd tier bowl.

My prediction is Oregon State 41 Oregon 38.

1 comment:

Evan said...

It's about time Driod. I am glad the Civil war brought it out of you. Nice picture by the way. And I am glad you have chosen the right side to cheer for. Go Beavs!